Archaeology 360: The Hill of Tara, Co. Meath

 


I’ve taken my 360-degree 3D Vuze camera to some sites that are interesting and important to me, but they’re hardly well known. That changes now! A while back I had the opportunity to go to Tara, Co. Meath and play around up there. Unfortunately, the camera wasn’t as excited to be on this important site as I was, and insisted on repeatedly cutting out after only a sort amount of time filming. For all that, I think they resulting short clips are worth presenting to give a feeling for the place. If you don’t already know, the Hill of Tara is an ancient ceremonial and burial site and I will not attempt to paraphrase the entire Wiki page here, but go have a read for yourself [here].

I’ve compiled the tour into a consecutive YouTube playlist [here], or you can access each video clip individually here:

Standing Stones in Churchyard Pt. I [0:15]

Standing Stones in Churchyard Pt. II [0:30]

Ráth Chaelchon (Sloping Trenches) [0:13]

Banqueting Hall [0:13]

Ráth na Seanadh (the 'Rath of the Synods') [0:23]

Passage tomb: Dumha na nGiall (the 'Mound of the Hostages') [0:47]

Double-ditched enclosure: Forradh/Royal Seat [0:49]

Double-ditched enclosure: Teach Chormaic ('Cormac's House') [0:44]

Standing stone: Lia Fáil ('Stone of Destiny') Pt. I [0:18]

Standing stone: Lia Fáil ('Stone of Destiny') Pt. II [0:18]

Standing stone: Lia Fáil ('Stone of Destiny') Pt. III [0:13]

 

As I say, the video isn't as good as I'd like, but that just gives me another reason to come back again!

You can view this 360-degree video on an ordinary browser or on the dedicated YouTube app for your smartphone. However, for best results we recommend the more immersive experience that comes with an Oculus/Google Cardboard headset. Please feel free to Like and Share the video and Subscribe to the Archaeology 360 channel. If you’re feeling peculiarly generous and wish to help purchase snacks to sustain the Chapples Minor in the field, please drop something in the Tip Jar on the top right of this page.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Billboards Outside University College London: A case of approved plagiarism by Prof Andrew Bevan et al.

The dreaded first test post!

"Always remember to draw the swastika turning to the right": Some thoughts on swastika directionality in Early Medieval Irish Art